Saturday, December 23, 2006

I'm not suppose to read tabloid magazines

I remember back before Star Magazine was glossy and pop stars didn't show their naughty bits in public yet. I honestly would buy those things sometimes and have to admit it was a guilty pleasure. I always felt really silly at the check out line with them and would try to hide the fact that I was actually spending my money on it. But just last November the National Enquirer came knocking on my door and was very interested in my divorce papers. The reporter wanted to either confirm or deny somethings that were obviously public record. I respectfully said no comment and the story was ran about two weeks after that. I won't go into it much but these things happen I suppose whenever a person has intimate details of a famous person's life. The public has a real fascination with celebrities. Some truely talented artists, and some famous for behaving in a more notorious way, a la reality star style. They have become walking product placement ads. I think we live in a corporate country where we're taught to want to be like them and have the desire to live their lifestyle. But in reality most American's don't earn close to that kind of money or realize what people have gone thru to get to that point. But it's glamourized and most people know. But last night I'm standing in Ralph's to buy my popcorn and non-salted butter and I see a spread in the middle of Star magaine with just about every drug under the Sun featured, complete with photographs, information about the drug, and it's effects on the user. The reason this scares me is because I know how easy it is to get addicted to drugs. I don't want this to turn into a public service announcement but I have fought my own battle. And I thought I was so cool while I was getting high. I thought I looked so good and that no one knew. But I was self destrctive and had to find out why. I really wonder what impression this leaves on a young girls psyche to see these teenage celebrities with Bentley's and know that they do drugs. Has anyone noticed these stories are usually about young girls? But who doesn't want to be the prettiest girl at the party, ya know what I mean. Everybody wants to be cool. And it kinda creates a mystique. I'm getting older, that's for sure, and I'm happy to earn some lines around my eyes. I've seen a lot. And I want to give back to anyone who ever needs my help. Real life isn't as pretty sometimes but the rewards are real, and when it's real it never goes away. And I will be right here.

No comments: